Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Happy Tet 2010


I took the kids to the Phoenix Vietnamese Adoption Group's 2010 Tet Celebration this past Saturday. We went last year as well. It was held at another adoptee's house. They served a lot of Vietnamese food... Kyle loved it, Devin did not. We made some photo frames with "Year of the Tiger". The kids watched some of the other kids perform a Vietnamese dance and they performed a dragon dance as well. It was so cute. It is great to see all the other children and families. We got to see Henry, also adopted from Que Son orphanage where Kyle was from. He is doing well and loved. I try to at least expose my children to some of Kyle's heritage and other kids like him. When he is older, he can decide if he wants to learn more about his birth country. When I was telling Devin where we were going and about how most of the kids were adopted from Vietnam, she said she wished she were adopted too. So cute.

Devin has said some pretty cute things lately... Specifically, I told her we were going to buy her a new bed soon. Well, my truck had an emergency oil line break and it cost us $500. So, we had to post-pone buying her bed. Anyway, she really wants a new bed BAD! I told her we couldn't afford one this month and would have to buy it later. She says, "Well, I have money in my piggy bank Mom, we could go get it to buy my bed." So sweet. She really does need a new bed- she is still in her toddler bed and just about maxed it out. So, we hope to buy her a new bed by mid-April and then give her bed to Kyle who is still in his crib.

Speaking of cribs, Kyle has officially learned how to climb out of his crib. The boy is growing up! He has been saying "excuse me (cuse me), thank you (tank you), Please (pease)" lately. We are going to attempt to wean him off his bottles soon. He is down to his last few bottles (he chewed up all his nipples). Wish me luck. He LOVES his "ba". He has been using the potty a lot lately- about once a day for the last 2 weeks. I haven't been pushing to potty train him yet. Just letting him go at his own pace. After we wean him off the bottle and switch him to the toddler bed, I will work on potty training him more. Devin didn't potty train till she was 3--- but I think Kyle is ready soon. He's a smart boy.

I had a great visit with my parents last week. Unfortunately, my dad took a turn for the worse on Monday (2 days ago). He had a grand mal seizure for over 50 minutes. My mom wasn't home at the time... she was at drugstore picking up his medications. She called 911 and he was in ICU last couple days. They had to intubate & sedate him to get the seizures under control. He is conscious now and talking a little. They moved him out of ICU today. So, we shall see how he does over the next couple days. My mom is a rock during times of crisis. Vicki & Michael have been helping out a lot. That has been great to have them so close. It's hard to be far away and feel helpless.

No comments: