Tuesday, June 3, 2008

IVF #3

Well, we are still waiting to hear news about when we can pick up Kyle. No news. So, I will reflect on my last attempt with infertility treatments in 2006. After our 2nd failed attempt, I was at a crossroads b/c I didn't want to use the same doctors as before (ARMS). I was doing some research and found my previous doctor (Dr. Ketan Patel) from Mayo! Yea. Jack and I had some long (and heated) discussions about spending more money for one last attempt. After some begging on my part, he agreed. So, we made an appt with Dr. Patel and started again... I really like him and would highly recommend him. He is very personable and thorough and CARING! He calls you back HIMSELF (not a nurse practitioner) and really listens to you when you talk. I think these traits are very important during this stressful and sensitive time in your life. We started all the preliminary tests again in Aug 06... yes, we have to repeat tests once again... ultrasounds, FSH levels, infectious diseases (again), semen analysis (again), etc.... I started all the shots and meds in September and we had the egg retrieval in October. I even had acupuncture done at the time of egg retrieval (its supposed to increase your odds of success). I was willing to try ANYTHING! Unfortunately, once again I didn't have many good eggs and only 3 fertilized (with ICSI- intracytoplasmic sperm injection- say that fast 3 times!) They put all 3 embryos in ... and then we wait... They switched back to intramuscular progesterone injections- those are big needles .. 1.5 inches in the hips and buttocks! Kinda hurts and leaves bruises. Anyway, we waited and then the big day for our blood test... Negative. So disappointing. I was crying and Jack left work early. I knew at this point our journey to have another biological child was over. Dr. Patel thougth at this point our chances of having a biological child was less than 5%. It was hard to give up that dream move on. I was very sad and we decided to not think about things for the next few months over the holidays. Of course, people are still asking me the same old questions everyday.... but I just needed time to think for awhile and let my body get off all those hormones.

I look back at the photos of me during that time and I was retaining SO much water. I looked really fat- faced during that whole year... during the pregnancy/miscarriage and IVF attempts... All those hormones really took a toll on my body. I was working out and not losing any weight. Anyway, the next few months during my "thinking" time... the extra 10 lbs literally just melted off my body once I was off all the hormones. I looked and felt so much better. I was done with all the injections/treatments and hormones. Jack and I decided adoption was our next step for another child. We realized we wanted another child and being biological was not as important as I thought... so that is where we are today...

No comments: