Friday, October 24, 2008

My "Other" Job















I have been back to work for 5 weeks now. I must say... I love it. Some people are great at being 24/7 "stay at home" mom's. They like to discuss what they are going to cook for dinner, where to get coupons, what outfit they hand-made for their kids for Halloween, how they hand-made their cards and curtains. I am not one of those people. House work is not my thing. Personally, I'd rather clean stalls or do yardwork. Last week, I went to Lowe's and bought new shrubs and planted them. I loved it. Don't get me wrong. I love being a mother and love my kids. But, outside the "Mom's club" that I am member of, most people who know me think of me as a veterinarian who has kids... not the other way around.

I like being known and respected in my community as a veterinarian. It is a highly sought-after and respected job. As a matter of fact, in national surveys, veterinarian is rated in the top 5 jobs as the most truthful and respected people in the country. I have always wanted to be a veterinarian my entire life. I believe in "love what you do and do what you love." I like going to work. I think it makes me a better mother. It gives me a purpose in life and also a break from the kids. I like the challenge of the job physically and mentally and my relationships with my clients and my patients. I like working outside and not in an office. I like making my own hours and setting my schedule. Yes, it is a challenge to balance being a mother and having a career. However, I hope that my kids will be proud when they talk about me and my accomplishments. I hope they will see that you can be a successful mother and have a successful career at the same time. I hope that they feel that if you want to do something ... if you have a goal... you can be anything you want to be.

Above are some pictures of my workday...some of of me, some of my colleagues, and some of my patients...

No comments: