Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Earthquakes, parties & the beach

Well, its been a good trip to southern CA so far. We did have an earthquake yesterday afternoon - 5.4 on the richter scale! Jack says the lights and fans were swinging in our condo and the ground was shaking. I missed it.... I was in the ocean with Devin and didn't feel it b/c of the waves. Otherwise, it was not a big deal. We have been to the beach twice (we are right on the beach) and Devin LOVES the ocean. She is my water girl. We will go back tomorrow but headed to Sea World today. We went to Legoland on Monday--- great for the little kids- but wore Devin out. She still takes naps and it was hard on her without a nap. She fell asleep in Jack's arms in one of the lines.
We celebrated my parents 50th wedding anniversary on Sunday night. Eric made an awesome DVD of my parents' lives and their children and grandchildren. He is a computer whiz and made copies for everyone. It was really special. Last night, we celebrated Devin's 4th birthday early b/c she will turn 4 while we are in Vietnam. I have to say California is REALLY expensive and we are glad we live in Arizona--- I can take the heat instead of being price gauged everywhere!
Things aren't all peachy though... I've been fighting a killer head cold for over 10 days now which turned into a bad bacterial sinus infection these last few days. Fortunately, my doctor back in AZ was willing to call in a prescription for antibiotics!! Thank God- we are leaving for Vietnam tomorrow. Also, our adoption agency has slammed us with "extra fees" at the last second... we are very unhappy about this. I have worked very hard these last few weeks and months to pay for this adoption and I don't appreciate it. We are not rich and this adoption is expensive. I feel like we don't have a lot of choice at this point since we are leaving tomorrow.

On a good note, Julie, our regular daycare provider has agreed to take on Kyle when I go back to work. On the downside,I have to pay for Devin's daycare the whole time I'm on unpaid leave. So, we will be financially stretched to say the least for the next couple months. But, we really like Julie and feel it is best for Devin & Kyle to have them together when I go back to work. Kyle is joining a new family,new country, new language and new culture. So, the most stability and familiarity we can give him (ie. staying with his sister) will be the best for him.

2 comments:

Sherri said...

It looks like you all are having a great time. Have a safe trip and enjoy yourself!

Mia's Mommy said...

Your parents 50th! Wow, that is so great. I'm glad you're getting a nice family vacation before you travel to VN. That is wild about being in the ocean during an earthquake!